Montgomery Alabama’s Haunted Baseball Field
The Montgomery Military Prison was established in a cotton warehouse in the Spring of 1862, after the battle of Shiloh. The cotton shed was situated between Tallapoosa Street and the Alabama River. It housed more than 700 Federal prisoners, most of which were captured in southeastern Tennessee, Shiloh. 198 men, most listed as unknown, died at the Montgomery Military Prison from April to December of 1862. The survivors were moved to Tuscaloosa, Alabama in December 1862.
A portion of Oakwood cemetery was designated for those Federal prisoners to be buried. Most of those Union POW graves have been moved to the National Cemetery in Marietta, Georgia.
The Montgomery Biscuits Stadium now stands where the once prison stood and ghost sightings have been common, leading some to believe that the spirits of the soldiers who died at the prison, now haunt the baseball field.
One spirit appears as a tattered homeless man, typically only asking the passerby for food or water.
More ghost tales at Alabama Ghosts and Ghost Towns Index
Return to Alabama’s Haunted Places