Carbon Hill Alabama
Carbon Hill is a city in Walker County. It incorporated in February 1891. At the 2010 census the population was 2,021, down from 2,071 in 2000.
Carbon Hill Alabama History
Carbon Hill, Alabama was settled in 1886 because of coal mining and the railroad. A post office was established in 1887 with John T. Anderson as the first Postmaster. By 1888, the community had grown enough to support the Carbon Hill United Methodist Church.
The Galloway Coal Company was responsible for the early development of Carbon Hill. Col. Robert Galloway entered the coal and transfer business in 1863. On May 1, 1890 Galloway bought mines and property on Carbon Hill (as it was then called) from The Kansas City Coal and Coke Company for $130,000. Galloway turned the operation into a commercial success. Other mining companies set up operations after word spread of Galloway’s success.
Credit: Wikipedia contributors, “Carbon Hill, Alabama,” Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia
Old Photos of Carbon Hill Alabama
Credit: A collection of old photos from Carbon Hill, Alabama. Compiled and produced by Walker County Today facebook.com/walkercotoday twitter.com/walkercotoday