According to the available documentation, this flag was presented to the battery by the ladies of Tuscaloosa. During a skirmish in Mobile, Lt. James McLauren Shivers took the flag from a Federal soldier who had captured it. In August 1905 Thomas Owen, Director, Alabama Department of Archives and History, learned that the flag had survived the war and was still in Shivers' possession. On August 15, 1905 Owen wrote Shivers requesting the return of the flag. Receiving no response, Owen wrote again on September 2, 1905. On September 13, 1905 Shivers replied that he did indeed have the flag and intended to donate it. He also noted that Lumsden's Battery had carried a "blue guidon with a full moon in the center" when they were in Hardee's Corps. For some unexplained reason Shivers failed to forward the flag to Owen, who continued to press the matter through correspondence until February 1910. No correspondence after this date has been located. The flag was finally donated to the Alabama Department of Archives and History by Mrs. Allyne (Shivers) Norton, the daughter of James M. Shivers. At the time the donantion was made, no date was entered into the accession log, however, the previous entry was for October, 1928, while the next was for March, 1929.
This flag received conservation treatment and was prepared for display by Textile Preservation Associates, Inc. of Sharpsburg, Maryland in November 2004.
October 12 1863
Skirmish of Buckhorn Tavern
American Civil War Skirmish of Buckhorn
Philip Dale Roddey was a brigadier general in the army of the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War.
Tavern, fought on October 12, 1863, between General Phillip D. Roddey’s Alabama Cavalry Brigade and a Union cavalry brigade commanded by General Robert Mitchell.
Robert Byington Mitchell (April 4, 1823 – January 26, 1882) was a brigadier general in the Union Army during the American Civil War and the Governor of the New Mexico Territory from 1866 to 1869
By tradition, the tavern took its name “Buckhorn” in 1858 when William L. Fanning killed a buck near the site and presented its antlers to the innkeeper. The antlers are now displayed at Buckhorn High School.
Editor: Buckhorn Tavern, Located in Section 18, Township 2, Range 2 East, Madison County Alabama, was an early wayside stop for pioneer settlers as they traveled the road from Winchester, Tennessee into Madison County. The tavern pre-dates the creation of the county, Dec. 13, 1808.
During the Creek Indian War (1813 – 1814), the Deposit Road was created at this point and stretched southeastward through Cherokee lands to Fort Deposit near Gunter’s Landing. This became the supply route for General Andrew Jackson’s forces. His deputy, Colonel John Coffee, stored supplies opposite the tavern and camped his troops (Nov. 22 – Dec. 8, 1813).