This county was formed in 1818, and named in honor of Governor Wm. G. Blount, of Tennessee. It is noted for the abundance of its minerals, the diversity of its soils, the variety of its productions, and mineral waters. In its progress, it is keeping pace with the surrounding counties, and is ranked among the best in the State. Its area is 700 square miles.