Chambers County Alabama
Chambers County population is 34,215. Its county seat is Lafayette. Its name is in honor of Henry H. Chambers, who served as a United States Senator from Alabama.
Chambers County Alabama Cities:
Named for the ancient Creek Indian town of Cusseta. The community was believed to be unincorporated until 2006, when rediscovered documents indicated that Cusseta had been incorporated as a city in 1853. In April, 2007 it was re-instated as a town in 2010.
LaFayette, the county seat for Chambers County, is located in east-central Alabama on a ridge that divides the Chattahoochee and Tallapoosa river basins. The town was first called Chambersville, but by the time of incorporation on January 7, 1835, the town name had been changed to LaFayette. LaFayette is located near West Point Lake in Georgia, 15 minutes to the east, and Alabama’s Lake Martin, 30 minutes to the west. In addition to these major lakes, LaFayette has fishing opportunities at the 90-acre City Lake and the 183-acre Chambers County Lake.
Lanett is located on the Alabama-Georgia line in the east-central part of the state. Lanett was originally named Bluffton and was incorporated in 1865 or 1866. The town changed its name to Lanett in February 1895. The site of Fort Tyler, the last Confederate fort to fall during the Civil War, is partially located within the city limits of Lanett.
Two large textile mills were built in the 1860s resulting in creation of mill towns of Langdale and Riverview. In the early 1900s two more mills were built, spawning the villages of Shawmut and Fairfax. On April 22, 1980, the four municipalities merged and incorporated as a city. Because the general area had long been referred to as the The Valley, the city took the name Valley.
Chambers County Alabama Towns:
Waverly is a town in Chambers and Lee counties. It was incorporated in 1910. The town population is 145. Waverly was settled in the 1830s, but saw little growth until the 1870s. The name of Waverly, Alabama first appeared on Alabama maps in 1853. It was given the nickname, Pea Ridge, but this was never its official name. The second Saturday of each October, the Town of Waverly hosts the Annual Waverly BBQ.
Five Points, Alabama
In 1885, Five Points was named because of the five roads converging at a single point. Before this, the post office was known as “Lystra”. The town was incorporated in 1915, making it Chambers County’s oldest incorporated town. The Baptist Church was the first to take the name of “Five Points” on its building in 1929.
Five Points holds the distinction of being the first town of its size to receive electricity from Alabama Power in 1925. In order to receive power, citizens were required to erect their own poles from Stroud to White Plains.
Chambers County Alabama Communities:
Abanda is a census-designated place and unincorporated community in Chambers County. Its population was 192 as of the 2010 census.
Fredonia is an unincorporated community. Its population is 199.Other names for the community have included “Freedona” and “Hursts Store”. It is the location of the New Hope Rosenwald School, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Huguley is located in southeastern Chambers County at 32°50’16.811″ North, 85°13’59.300″ West (32.838003, -85.233139). It is bordered by the city of Lanett to the east and the city of Valley to the southeast.
Penton is a census-designated place and unincorporated community in Chambers County. Its population was 201 as of the 2010 census.
Oak Bowery, Alabama
Oak Bowery is an unincorporated community in southern Chambers County. It lies along U.S. Route 431, north of Auburn.
Oakland is an unincorporated community in Chambers County.
Stroud is an unincorporated community in Chambers County, located along U.S. Route 431.
White Plains, Alabama
White Plains is a census-designated place and unincorporated community in Calhoun County, Alabama, United States. Its population was 811 as of the 2010 census. The community is located in eastern Calhoun County along Alabama Highway 9.
Chambers County Alabama Ghost Town:
Prior to contact with people of European descent, what is now Chambers County was inhabited by the Creek Indian Nation.
Chambers County was established on December 18, 1832.
Chambers County joined the four mill cities to make The Valley (which is now the largest city). Valley is rapidly increasing in size and located between Montgomery, Alabama and Atlanta, Georgia.
If you would like to become a sponsor, advertise a related location, service or vacation spot that would add to the usefulness of this site, please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.