Fort Stonewall was a settlers’ stockaded fort on the west bank of Bassett’s Creek, five miles southeast of town. Smaller than Fort Madison. Attacked by Red Stick Creek Indians in September 1813 but repulsed by the settlers’ dogs, the fort was then abandoned for Fort Madison. A marker (1931) is located east of town on Fort Sinquefield Road off of US 84. The site is managed by the Clarke County Historical Society.