Gantts Quarry Alabama
Gantts Quary was incorporated in 1910 after the discovery of white marble by Dr. Edward Gantt in 1830. One block of this marble is part of the construction of the Washington Monument. The passing of Gantts Quarry was caused by a steady decline in population as the demand for marble in building construction declined in the 1930’s post Great Depression era.
At its peak Gantts Quarry had 542 residents. In 1940 the population was 456 and by 1973 it was down to 63 residents.
By the late 1960s, the company that owned the Quarry decided to demolish the company owned houses and this forced the residents to move to other towns and communities.
Over time, all citizens relocated to other towns. The 2000 Census recorded Gantts Quarry as having zero population. Incorporated in 1910 to keep neighboring Sylacauga Alabama in Talladega County, from annexing it, it was officially disincorporated after its population dwindled to zero effective December 31, 2001.