Kellyton is an incorporated town in Coosa County, Alabama, United States. It had a population of 217 as of the 2010 census.The town is part of the Talladega-Sylacauga Micropolitan Statistical Area. Kellyton was previously listed in the 1920 and 1930 U.S. Censuses as an incorporated community. It did not appear again on the census until 2010.
Kellyton Alabama History
The area known today known as Kellyton was originally an outpost called Webbsville, named for the area’s first postmaster, William Webb. In 1874, the name was changed to Kellyton in honor of James Kelly, a prominent local physician. The town began to expand quickly after a branch line of the Central of Georgia Railroad was built through the area in 1880. Kellyton reached its economic zenith in the early 1920s. The abundance of timber in the area, as well as access to the rail line, led to the establishment of many small sawmills as well as a turpentine distillery. Other major businesses included grist mills and a tanning yard.
Kellyton Alabama Demographics
Kellyton Alabama Transportation
Kellyton Alabama Events and Places of Interest
The McClendon-Mayfield House (ca. 1851) is listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage. Though located in Tallapoosa County, it is just north of Kellyton. The town is northwest of Lake Martin and about 16 miles from Wind Creek State Park and its numerous recreational opportunities.
Kellyton Highway 280
Kellyton AL 35089
145 Church Street
Kellyton, AL 35089