Blount County Alabama Map

BLOUNT COUNTY ALABAMA

This county was formed in 1818, and named in honor of Governor Wm. G. Blount, of Tennessee. It is noted for the abundance of its minerals, the diversity of its soils, the variety of its productions, and mineral waters. In its progress, it is keeping pace with the surrounding counties, and is ranked among the best in the State. Its area is 700 square miles.

Old Barn on Cold Winter Day. Blount County near Blountsville. Submitted by Tyler Cantrell

Historical Sites in Blount County Alabama

Blount County contains 643 square miles. The Warrior coal field is located in Blount County. From 1818 to 1889, Blountsville served as the county seat. An election that year resulted in its transfer to Oneonta. Other towns and communities include Bangor, Blount Springs, Liberty, and Cleveland.