DeKalb County Alabama Map

DEKALB COUNTY ALABAMA

DeKalb County was once a part of the territory occupied by the Cherokee Indian nation. The coming of white men to the county occurred during the American Revolution when a British agent, Alexander Campbell, was sent here for the purpose of arousing the Cherokees against the southern colonies. In 1777, Campbell made his headquarters at Wills Town, a Cherokee Indian village located on Big Wills Creek near the present community of Lebanon. Campbell was successful in arousing a number of the Cherokees by promising them clothing and conquered territory in exchange for the scalps of white settlers.

Cherokee County Alabama Map

CHEROKEE COUNTY ALABAMA

During the Civil War, Cherokee County Alabama was a center of iron manufacturing. The famous Cherokee chief Pathkiller, who led the Cherokee in the Creek War of 1813-14, lived in Turkeytown, near the present-day town of Centre.

Blount County Alabama Map

BLOUNT COUNTY ALABAMA

This county was formed in 1818, and named in honor of Governor Wm. G. Blount, of Tennessee. It is noted for the abundance of its minerals, the diversity of its soils, the variety of its productions, and mineral waters. In its progress, it is keeping pace with the surrounding counties, and is ranked among the best in the State. Its area is 700 square miles.

TALLADEGA COUNTY ALABAMA

Talladega County Alabama

Talladega County is a county of the state of Alabama. As of the 2010 census, the population was 82,291. Its county seat is Talladega, Alabama. Talladega is derived from the Muscogee (Creek) Native American word TVLVTEKE which translates to “border town.” Prior to Euro-American settlement in what is today Talladega County it was the home of the Abihka tribe of the Creek Confederacy. The county was established December 18, 1832 from land ceded by the Creek Indians. 

In Talladega County, the Riddle and Story Mines both produced lode gold, with placers found in Talladega Creek.

Cleburne County Alabama Map

CLEBURNE COUNTY ALABAMA

Cleburne County is located on what was once Creek and Cherokee Indian land. The first settlers came to the area in the 1820s and named the town of Edwardsville as the county seat. Settlement in the area remained sparse until the 1830s, when gold was discovered in the vicinity of Arbacoochee and Chulafinnee in the southern part of the county. By 1836, some 5,000 miners had moved to the area in hopes of striking it rich.