Bullock County, established in 1866, the county took its name from Colonel E. C. Bullock, of Eufaula. It is located in a region which enables it to command all the conditions favorable to prosperity.Its area comprises 660 square miles.
The Perote Guards were organized in 1859 in Perote, presently in Bullock County, Alabama. The first Captain was George William Dawson. They were sent to Pensacola, Florida, where they became Company D of the 1st Alabama Infantry Regiment. The 1st Alabama Infantry surrendered on April 7, 1862, at Island No. 10.