Randolph County Alabama
Randolph County Alabama population is located in the east central part of the state and its populations is 22,913. The Alabama Legislature created Randolph County on December 18, 1832, from lands acquired from the Creek Indians in the 1832 Treaty of Cusseta. Its county seat is Wedowee. Its name is in honor of John Randolph, a member of the United States Senate from Virginia.
The first county seat for Randolph County was established in 1833 at Hedgeman Triplett’s Ferry on the west bank of the Big Tallapoosa River, about 10 miles west of Wedowee. In 1835 (2 years later), the county seat was moved by the commissioners to nearby Wedowee. Wedowee lies in the center of Randolph County, on a fork of the Little Tallapoosa River. Wedowee was named after a tribal chief “Wah-wah-nee” (or “Wah-dow-wee”) whose village stood near the present site of the town.
Randolph County is set amidst a landscape of hills and many lakes and river and offers many opportunities for wildlife viewing and outdoor recreation.
Randolph County Alabama Cities:
Roanoke is located between Birmingham Alabama and Atlanta Georgia, beautiful Lake Wedowee on the Tallapoosa River and West Point Lake on the Chattahoochee River.
City of Roanoke
809 Main street
P.O. box 1270
Roanoke Al, 36274
Randolph County Alabama Towns:
Wadley is located in southwest Randolph County in the east-central part of the state on the banks of the Tallapoosa River. Old Wadley Hotel Building Settlers resided in the area that now encompasses Wadley from the 1830s, but the town itself was not founded until 1906.
The Gay Craft House is listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage. The Wadley Railroad Depot, which ceased operations in 1964, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places; it is one of only four Mission-style depots surviving in the state.
Wadley Alabama Police Department
256 Highland Cir
Wadley, Alabama 36276
Wedowee is a town in Randolph County. At the 2010 census the population was 823, up from 818 in 2000. The small town is the county seat of Randolph County. It was initially incorporated in 1836, but its charter lapsed by the late 19th century. It was reincorporated in 1901. Wedowee, which means “old water” in the Creek language, was named after a Muscogee Creek Indian chief. This area was historically occupied by the Muscogee Creek people.
Since the late 20th century, Lake Wedowee was created by the impoundment of the Tallapoosa River. This has enhanced the tourist drawing power of the town. Also known as the R. L. Harris Reservoir, the lake draws thousands of visitors to Wedowee every year.
Woodland is a town in Randolph County. At the 2010 census the population was 184, down from 192 in 2000. It incorporated in 1967.
Randolph County Alabama Communities:
Almond, also known as Flat Rock, is an unincorporated community in Randolph County.
Bacon Level Alabama
Bacon Level is an unincorporated community located 3–4 miles (4.8 to 6.4 km) southeast of Roanoke, in Randolph County.
Corinth is an unincorporated community in Randolph County, located 3.3 miles north of Wadley.
Folsom is an unincorporated community in Randolph County.
Graham is a census-designated place and unincorporated community in Randolph County.
Liberty Grove Alabama
Liberty Grove is an unincorporated community in Randolph County.
Louina, sometimes Ole Louina, is a ghost town located 14 miles west of Roanoke and about one mile east of Wadley in Randolph County.Ole Louina was a community during early settlement of Randolph County which was settled after the Battle of Horseshoe Bend in 1814 when the Creek Indians were defeated by General Andrew Jackson.
The town was founded in 1834 and lasted until about 1905, and at one time was largest town in Randolph County with two churches, several stores, and a gristmill.
Morrison Crossroads Alabama
Morrison Crossroads (also known as Morrison Crossroad) is a census-designated place and unincorporated community in Randolph County. Its population was 219 as of the 2010 census.
Newell is an unincorporated community in Randolph County, located 11.5 miles north-northeast of Wedowee. A post office was established under the name Newell in 1887. The post office was closed on October 5, 2002.
Rock Mills Alabama
Rock Mills is a census-designated place (CDP) in Randolph County. At the 2010 census the population was 600, down from 676 in 2000. According to the U.S. Census, from 1890 until the 1920s, Rock Mills was an incorporated community. It was later designated a CDP beginning in 2000.
Randolph County Alabama Weblinks