Walker County Alabama
Walker County population is 67,023. Its county seat is Jasper. Its name is in honor of John Williams Walker, a member of the United States Senate.
Walker County Alabama History
Walker County was established by the Alabama legislature on December 26, 1823, from parts of Marion and Tuscaloosa Counties. The final boundaries were established in 1850, when the northern portion of Walker County was used to establish Winston County.
Walker County Alabama Cities:
Carbon Hill Alabama is a city in Walker County, Alabama, United States. It incorporated in February 1891. At the 2010 census the population was 2,021, down from 2,071 in 2000.
Cordova is a city in Walker County, Alabama, U.S., formerly a textile mill town 35 miles from Birmingham, Alabama. It was incorporated in 1897. At the 2010 census the population was 2,095, down from 2,423 in 2000.
Dora is a city in Walker County, Alabama, United States founded by Cole Smith. It initially incorporated as the town of Horse Creek on February 18, 1897, but changed its name to Dora in 1906. At the 2010 census the population was 2,025, down from 2,413 in 2000. Dora is situated in a valley alongside Horse Creek, a tributary of the Mulberry Fork of the Black Warrior River. The area around present-day Dora was first settled by veterans of the War of 1812 and the Creek War of 1813-14 who were lured there by land grants.
In the final weeks of the Civil War, Union general James H. Wilson and his cavalry moved through the community after burning nearby Jasper.
The City of Jasper was incorporated in 1887 with G. H. “Jake” Guttery serving as its first Mayor. Jasper serves as the county seat of Walker County and is located in the middle of the Warrior Coal Fields, the second largest in the nation. Jasper sits on or near the Bankhead Highway and the new Interstate 22.
The city of Jasper in Walker County was the childhood home of actor George Lindsey, best known for his portrayal of Goober Pyle on The Andy Griffith Show.
Sumiton is a city in Jefferson and Walker counties in the State of Alabama. It incorporated in 1952. At the 2010 census the population was 2,520, down from 2,665 in 2000
Walker County Alabama Towns:
Eldridge is a town in northwest Walker County, Alabama. It incorporated in 1972. At the 2010 census the population was 130, down from 184 in 2000. Eldridge was originally called Camp Springs because travelers in the area often stopped to replenish their water supplies from the natural springs in the area. The first state road from northwest Alabama to Tuscaloosa Alabama passed through Eldridge; it was completed in 1822. The town took its name from Eldridge Mallard, reportedly the first tollgate keeper on the new road.
The Bankhead National Forest lies about 12 miles northeast of Eldridge. The town holds an annual Eldridge Day to celebrate its founding. Each December, the town holds the Eldridge Toy Run, during which motorcycle and antique car enthusiasts gather to raise money for the Freewill Baptist Children’s Home in Eldridge.
Kansas is a town in Walker County in North-central Alabama. It incorporated in 1956. At the 2010 census the population was 226, down from 260 in 2000. The town was named after the Kansas Territory.
The earliest known resident of what would become the town of Kansas was James Tittle, who purchased land and settled in the area in November 1822. The first post office was established in 1855. In March 1865, during the Civil War, Union cavalry under the command of Brig. Gen. James H. Wilson raided Kansas in search of food for his troops and their animals.
On the Saturday before Memorial Day each year, the town celebrates “Kansas Day,” which features food and an auction. All proceeds from the celebration go to the upkeep of the Kansas Veterans Memorial Park.
Nauvoo Alabama is located primarily in northwest Walker County with a small edge of the town in southwest Winston County, in the central part of Alabama. The town of Nauvoo began as a small agricultural community known as Blackwell’s Crossing.
Be sure to visit Slick Lizard Farms while in Nauvoo. They are located at 142 Walker Circle in Nauvoo Alabama, 35578.
Oakman is a town in Walker County. At the 2010 census the population was 789, down from 944 in 2000. Initially named Day Gap, it was renamed Oakman and incorporated in 1895. The Oakman area initially was settled in the early to mid-1820s. The community was first called York after the first post office of that name, which opened in 1860. It was renamed Day’s Gap after a prominent local landowner, part of whose property consisted of a valley (known in local parlance as a “gap”) between two mountains that led into Oakman. Oakman first appeared on the 1890 census as the town of Day (or Day’s) Gap.
The community remained relatively small until 1884, when a line of the Georgia Pacific Railroad came through and made Oakman a shipping center for the county. The opening of a coal mine nearby also contributed to Oakman’s growth. Oakman was the first city in Walker County to install telephone lines.
Parrish is a town in Walker County, Alabama. It was incorporated in October 1922. At the 2010 census the population was 982, down from 1,268 in 2000. Parrish was first known as Hewitt, the name assigned to the first post office established there in 1878. The community also was referred to as Jonesboro, after the first post master, at the same time. The post office closed in 1888, and the town was generally referred to as Hewitt thereafter.
In 1890, the Sheffield, Birmingham and Tennessee Railroad completed a rail line through the area that intersected with a branch of the Georgia Pacific Railroad. The Sheffield, Birmingham and Tennessee Railroad opened a telegraph office at the intersection in an unused boxcar. The name of the first telegraph operator was Parrish, and his name was adopted officially by the community as its name on January 1, 1891.
Parrish hosts a Christmas Party in December. Parrish has a public splash pad that is open to children during the summer. Parrish also maintains a Senior Citizens Center. The town is currently constructing a new recreational venue that will include an athletics field, basketball and tennis courts, hiking and walking trails, and playgrounds.
Sipsey is a town in Walker County, Alabama, with a population of 437, down from 552. Sipsey was founded in the early 1920s as a company town for the DeBardeleben Coal Company, founded by coal magnates Henry T. DeBardeleben and Nicholas M. Norris. It was incorporated as a town on August 14, 1965.
Sipsey’s eastern town limit lies on the Sipsey Fork of the Black Warrior River, which offers boating, swimming, and fishing.
Walker County Alabama Communities:
Burnwell is an unincorporated community in Walker County, Alabama, located on the southern border of Dora. Burnwell had a post office from May 21, 1910, to December 30, 2010; it still has its own ZIP code, 35038. Burnwell, Alabama location is 33°42’28″N 87°5’15″W; elevation is 404 feet.
Curry is an unincorporated community in north-central Walker County Alabama. It is the closest community to the Lewis Smith Lake dam. Curry is served by Alabama State Route 257, which is simply known as Curry Highway by locals.
The Empire Zip Code is 35063. Elevation: 505 feet. Land area: 36.9 square miles. Population density: 68 people per square mile.
Location: 33.666004 N, 87.231064 W
GOODSPRINGS POST OFFICE
824 Goodsprings Rd, Goodsprings, AL 35560
Toll-Free: 1-800-Ask-USPS® (275-8777
Mount Hope Alabama
Mt Hope High School
8455 County Road 23
Mount Hope, AL 35651
Mount Hope Volunteer Fire Department
7676 CO RD 23
Mount Hope, AL 35651
Mount Hope Volunteer Fire Department
PO Box 43
Mount Hope, AL 35651
Phone: (256) 974-8050
Quinton Alabama is an unincorporated community in Walker County, located 4.2 miles south-southeast of Dora. Quinton has a post office with ZIP code 35130, which opened on March 27, 1888.
Slick lizzard Alabama is an unincorporated community in Walker County.
According to tradition, Slicklizard was so named because local miners had to crawl through muddy passages and in the process became “slick as a lizard”.
Spring Hill Alabama
Townley is an unincorporated community in Walker County. It was formerly an incorporated town from 1895 until the 1920s. Townley was initially incorporated in 1895. It appeared on the next three consecutive U.S. Censuses, reaching its zenith in 1920, when it became the 4th largest town in Walker County, with 1,554 residents. At some point after 1920, it either disincorporated or lost its charter, and has not appeared on census rolls since.
Union Chapel is an unincorporated community located in Walker County, Alabama.
87-Year-Old Fossil Mystery Solved