Arcola Alabama

More
Black Warrior River

Black Warrior River

Arcola Alabama is a ghost town on the Black Warrior River in what is now Hale County, formerly Marengo County, Alabama.

Established in the early 1820s by former French Bonapartists as part of their Vine and Olive Colony, after they were forced to abandon their first town at Demopolis and many found Aigleville unsuitable.

The plantation house in 2011. The main house was built by Alfred Parker Hatch in 1856. The house was the center of his 3,000-acre acre plantation, purchased a few years before from his brother Lemuel D. Hatch during a period of financial difficulty.

The plantation house in 2011. The main house was built by Alfred Parker Hatch in 1856. The house was the center of his 3,000-acre acre plantation, purchased a few years before from his brother Lemuel D. Hatch during a period of financial difficulty.

Frederic Ravesies, Arcola’s first settler, established himself at what later became known as the Hatch Plantation. In the 1830s, settlers continued to move into the area to use Arcola as a river landing. In the 1850s, the settlement had disappeared and was replaced by adjoining plantations.

Although never more than a village, Arcola became the largest settlement in the colony. Beginning in the 1830s American settlers moved into the area and purchased most of the former French land grants, primarily using Arcola as a river landing. By the 1850s the French settlement had disappeared, replaced by a community of adjoining plantations.

Alabama Ghost Towns Index

Wikipedia contributors, “Arcola, Alabama,”  Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Arcola,_Alabama&oldid=597771249 (accessed January 16, 2015).

Alabama Cities Index

Comments are closed.