Fort Stonewall was a settlers’ stockaded fort on the west bank of Bassett’s Creek, five miles southeast of town. Smaller than Fort Madison. Attacked by Red Stick Creek Indians in September 1813 but repulsed by the settlers’ dogs, the fort was then abandoned for Fort Madison. A marker (1931) is located east of town on Fort Sinquefield Road off of US 84. The site is managed by the Clarke County Historical Society.Continue reading
Gantt’s Quary had its own post office, which also served as a library. The post was moved from the Quarry to its new location behind the B.B. Comer Museum in Sylacauga.Continue reading
Gantts Quarry, in Talladega County, was incorporated in 1910 after the discovery of white marble by Dr. Edward Gantt in 1830.Continue reading
Spectre Alabama is a fictitious town built as a movie set for the movie “Big Fish.”Continue reading
Louina Alabama in Randolph County Alabama was settled by the Indians, pushed to Alabama by the white settlers from the overcrowded east in the 1830s. Louina’s trading post quickly became the metropolis of its day with the area producing quantities of gold. Today Louina is a ghost town.
According to tradition and folklore, the Louina area coughed up gold and silver.
For more than seventy years Vienna was a thriving river port on the Tombigbee River in Pickens County, AlabamaContinue reading
Wakefield is a ghost town in Washington County, Alabama, most famous as the place where former vice president Aaron Burr was arrested in 1807.Continue reading
Washington Alabama was deserted by 1879Continue reading