Turkeytown, also called Turkey’s Town, was a Native American settlement found in 1788 by the Chickamauga Cherokee chief, Little Turkey. It was the largest Cherokee town in Alabama – at one time it covered 25 miles along both banks of the Coosa River. Little Turkey built the settlement as a refuge for his people because of the ongoing hostilities between the Cherokee Indians and the whites.
Turkeytown Alabama History
During the Creek War of 1813, specifically in October, the Red Stick Indians were planning an attack on Turkey Town, The Cherokee Chief at that time, Pathkiller, sent word to Andrew Jackson for help. Jackson sent a detachment let by General James White. The detachement consisisted of may Cherokee soldiers which fought against the Red Sticks. In December of 1813, the US military built Fort Armstrong in Turkeytown. The fort was manned entirely by Cherokee soldiers. Fort Armstrong was later renamed Fort Lovell.
On October 3, 1790, John Ross who was to become the head Chief of the Cherokee Nation was born in Turkeytown to parents Daniel Ross, a Scottish imigrant and trader, and his Cherokee wife, Mollie McDonald.
Turkeytown Alabama Today
The original site of Turkeytown is now under Lake Weiss. The current community of Turkey Town is located roughly ten miles southwest of Centre, Alabama which is near the original site.